The Etruscan Gate
The three heads and the arch date to the 3rd and 2nd century BC: The stone used is different: the ashlars of the arch are made from a calcareous stone from the neighbourhood of Volterra, while the heads are made of selagite a kind of stone coming from the area of Montecatini Val di Cecina.
It is still unclear what these three heads decorating the arch represent, eaten away by centuries of exposure to the strong winds coming from the sea. It is generally thought that they represent the triad of the Gods guardians of Volterra, Jove, Juno and Minerva from the Greek and Roman mythology. Alternatively, they could be Jove and the two Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux.
An urn housed in the Guarnacci Museum from the 1st century has an illustration of a siege taking place around a gateway decorated with three heads: this probably is the most ancient representation of Porta all’Arco existing. In the Middle Ages a further tower was added, on top of the Etruscan tower, of which we know little or nothing as it was demolished in 1544.
The gateway is the only Etruscan element remaining from the southern part of the ancient walls of Volterra, replaced by a more modern perimeter wall in the 13th century, following the same route.
|Satellite Coordinates||Lat. 43.400869 – Long. 10.858394|
|Download the Guide||Guide of Volterra|