The Church of San Francesco
It is a large church with one aisle ending with three choral chapels; around it there were the monastery buildings, that grew in size over the centuries but today have become private houses.
The church of San Francesco is typical architecturally of the Franciscan churches, focused on simplicity, and also for the location, on the borders of the medieval urban area.
At the beginning of the 1300s a Gothic-style chapel was built, called Chapel of the Cross, that was decorated in 1410 by Cenni di Ser Cenni from Florence with the largest and better preserved series of frescoes.
In a room next to the church there is a group of four figures, almost life-size, in enamel coloured terracotta by the local artist Zaccaria Zacchi.
|Satellite Coordinates||Lat. 43.404284 – Long. 10.856119|
|Download the Guide||Guide of Volterra|