|Satellite coordinates||Population||Altitude||Official Website|
|Lat. 43.1781 – Long. 10.7158||784 ca||364 mt||Monteverdi Municipalities|
Piazza San Rocco
56040 Monteverdi Marittimo (PI)
Tel. + 39 0565 785132
Gestione Consorzio Turistico Volterra Valdicecina
Seasonal: July – September
Open on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays
As regards the origins of the two hamlets of Monteverdi and Canneto, the Benedictine monastery of San Pietro in Palazzuolo must be mentioned. It was founded by Walfredo, a Longbard nobleman, who is likely to be the forefather of the della Gherardesca family.
The first recorded settlement dates back to 724 AD in the area called Badiavecchia, just outside the urban centre, then between 1100 and 1200 it was transferred over a hill were the ruins of the abbey are still visible today. In the town centre of Monteverdi there are two religious buildings: the Church of S. Andrea housing a Madonna with the Baby by F. Valdambrino, and the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament next to the church housing a Cristo Nero (Black Christ), a wooden crucifix of the 14th- 15th centuries, that is only shown to visitors every three years.
The whole urban centre is crossed by “Rughe” (wrinkles), a tight network of alleyways with small squares and charming views.
It was situated in an area widely colonized by the Etruscan and by the Romans, who gave it the name of “Iulia ossequiosa”.
Monteverdi and Canneto both draw their origins from a Benedectine monastery, the Abbey of San Pietro in Palazzolo, founded in the 12th century. The first monks arrived in 754 and lived near the Badivecchia area, then they were forced to take refuge on the nearest hill, to be able to defend from enemies.
The ancient castle presents an unusual circular plan of medieval origins ranged progressively down the hill. The habitat is crossed by two different types of routes: rotating around the centre of the village, coinciding with the higher and the most ancient part, now occupied by the Town Hall; the radial way, represented by a thickly set net of steep footpaths, called wrinkles, deeply engraving the hill with a series of clear and precise lines: the intricate system of ramps, flight of steps, footing, stairs, squares and terraces that corrugate the surface, makes the village more expressive.
Each wrinkles is different from the other, each one is surrounded by the building curtained high walls and shows special aspects and details of the urban and country landscape. Inside the village lies two important religious buildings: the 13th century Church of Sant’Andrea with its stoned façade preceded by a large stair case, has a severe symmetry and a triangular tympanum emphasized by a double-lanced window in a Della Robbia style, polychrome ceramic and a large light bearing eye-hole; the Chapel of Santissimo Sacramento, built in 1751 next to the old parish, housed the body of S. Walfredo until it was removed in 1909 to be replaced by an altar in his honour.