Important paintings and art collections

The origins of the Volterra Art Gallery date back to 1842 when Luigi Fedra Inghirami, who worked in the cathedral, began to collect works of art from various disused churches and monasteries of the city. He gathered the work in the chapel of San Carlo which adjoins the cathedral.

In 1905, following a proposal by Corrado Ricci, a municipal art gallery was arranged on the second floor of the Palazzo dei Priori. The more significant works of art from the chapel of San Carlo were exhibited along with other pieces belonging to the city council and to various other institutions of Volterra.
Since 1982 the Art Gallery or Pinacoteca is housed in the Palazzo Minucci-Solaini, a splendid example of late 15th century architecture traditionally attributed to Antonio San Gallo the Elder.
Today the Art Gallery, which represents the most important section of the collection, is complemented by the Municipal Museum.

The scope of the latter is to conserve and exhibit important works of art belonging to institutions which are no longer able to provide adequate care. The Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino is the most significant work from the collection. Other important works in the collection are paintings by Taddeo di Bartolo, Alvaro Pirez and Cenni di Francesco, the Pietà by Francesco Neri of Volterra, a predella of the story of the Virgin by Benvenuto di Giovanni, two wooden sculptures by Francesco di Valdambrino, an altar piece of Christ in Glory by Domenico Ghirlandaio and the Holy Conversation and the Annunciation by Luca Signorelli from Cortona. There is also a noteworthy collection of medieval sculpture and ceramics, of medals (especially the Medici collection) and of coins.
The Art Gallery organizes conferences, seminars and temporary exhibitions in collaboration with other institutions, with particular attention to the city’s cultural heritage. Didactic activity aimed in particular at schools, offers guided tours of the museum for students at every level.

Art Gallery and Civic Museum

Address:

Via dei Sarti, 1

56048 – Volterra (PI)

tel. +39 0588 87580
Open daily except 01.01 and 25.12

Timetable: From 16th March to 1st November daily: from 09:00 a.m. until 07:00 p.m.
From 2nd November to 15th March daily: from 10:00 a.m. until 04:30 p.m.
 
Closing times:  
Closed at 25th December and at 1st January of each year
 
Reservations:  
Tel: +39 0588 86347
 
Tariffs  
8.00 € full
6,00 € reduced (Boys 6-12, over 60, Coop and TCI)
6,00 € Adult groups (min 15 pax)
 
Tariffs Volterra Card (valid 72 hours)
Museo Etrusco Guarnacci, Pinacoteca, Ecomuseo dell’Alabastro, Palazzo dei Priori, Acropoli and Teatro Romano
 
14.00 € full
22,00 € Family (2 adults and 2 under 16)
12,00 € reduced (Boys 6-12, over 60, Coop and TCI)
10,00 € Adult groups (min 15 pax)
6,00 € Student groups (min 15 pax)
under 6: free

Museum Guide

Art Gallery and Civic Museum Guide

Download HERE the Museum Guide

Introduction to the Museums of the Cecina Valley

Download HERE the Cecina Valley Museums introduction

Archaeological Heritage

Sites of historical interest

Satellite Coordinates Lat. 43.402799 – Long. 10.859601
Official Website Art Gallery and Civic Museum – Volterra
Consorzio Turistico Volterra Valdicecina Valdera S.c.r.l.
Via Franceschini, 34 - 56048 Volterra (PI) - PIVA 01308340502
Copyright © 2012 - Cookie & Privacy Policy
Google+